Sunday, February 24, 2008

When The Sexy Beast is Away... or I Should Have Bought The Dell Sooner...

No, I don't play, when the Sexy Beast is away.

I miss her. It's glorious out today, a balmy 80 degrees and she's in rainy cold Salt Lake with her mother, brother, and grandfather, who is dying. He's quite old enough now to deserve a good send off, and according to my love, his body is doing what a body does when it's just too worn out to keep going.

I'm so glad she gets to be with that part of her family even though this part of her family misses her lots and lots.

As for me, I am feeling a bit overly geeky in happy anticipation of the arrival of my new laptop. Yeah, I got a Dell... it seems so Republican in light of being a creative person who entertained voting for Apple. But Apples are too rich for my blood. Here's what I got:
I shopped the factory outlet and then kept going back to review the competitors, who couldn't even come close --even on refurbished models.

A refurbished Apple costs three times what this honker costs. And I confess it's a honker -- weighing in at around eight pounds with a 17 inch screen. I need the big screen! I do photo work! And I don't plan on schlepping it to every Starbucks, airport and boardroom in the country. I plan on using it at home on a consistent basis without feeling guilty for bumping Beast Boy 2 offline when he's doing homework (if he's really doing it.)

Yes I chose a brown cover. Black lacked expression, white was too... "apple-ey." Flamingo Pink and Spring Green will either a) never resell on Craig's List or, b) never be used by Beast Boy Two if he wants it down the line and is willing to use a hand me down computer that is older than an infant's shirt size. Red and Blue both seem so ... so... I don't know... elementary. school. (What's your favorite color? Blue. Red. Pfft.)

So, here we are with brown. Unique, but not outrageous. Risky, but calculated. The messenger bag that matches though, it's very cool... Home design fashionistas have enjoyed this color combination for a few of the most recent years.

I am further blessed to be able to get the bag at just over cost! Whee!

Ok, I can't believe that I'm about to have this conversation, but I am. The Dell comes with 3gb RAM and 160 gb Sata hard drive. Now it also comes with a Graphics Media accelerator X3100, which pulls it's performance from the main memory, but I really won't be playing a bunch of games, or running DVD's while I'm working in Photoshop -- but, I might do either separately. The card is built into the motherboard chipset, and that's what slows her down. What? ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzZZZ... I know a little about these things. I work for a company that builds workstations. No, they didn't make me one because they're workstations, not laptops. We don't do laptops.

Now, since we're all nodding off from this boring conversation, I think I'll sign off and watch the Oscars... before getting bored and switching to The L Word.

It would be a perfect weekend to have set up my new laptop, but I still would miss the Sexy Beast.

No comments: