Friday, January 27, 2006

Birthday Lunch

I LOVE my Aquarian friends. This week I did lunch with one of them for her birthday. I am a Virgo and we're not supposed to get on well with Aquarians but I was raised by an Aquarian in the wild, so I love them.

I was doing the usual complaining a theatre director does about the dearth of young men available for talent in live theatre in the area. I am having the usual trouble finding someone to play a male ingenue for the show I'm directing.... so anyway, I found I needed to use the facilities in the middle of my conversation, so off I go...

As I rise I mention to my lunch mates, "while I'm gone, find me a man."

I go to the bathroom I do my business, yadda, yadda, yadda, and I return. As I do so, this guy at the table next to us asks me, "I hear you're looking for a man..."

This flusters me. MOMENTARILY. Said lunch mates are amused. I reply, "I do! But I like 'em young, I need one who is about twenty or so..."

My awesome Aquarian friend thought he was pretty handsome -- I concurred but being of lesbian persuasion it mattered not to me. Also, we are all quite married and committed anyway...

Lettuce Wraps arrive, we chat about plastic surgery.

Main course, Chicken Cashew, Mongolian Beef with brown rice, we chat about -- hell I don't remember and if I told you I'd have to shoot you anyway so I won't -- that's privileged girl lunch private information.

Fortune cookies. We get statements. Not fortune cookies, statement cookies.

More talking (we're women you know.)

Now our good fellow at the table next to us gets up to leave. Here's the great part.

He puts his fortune on the table at the arm of our celebrated awesome Aquarian and she reads it.

"A secret admirer finds you charming."

It was such a clever come on I was sad I'd never thought of it.

You never know -- even after 30 -- hell -- after 40 what flirty fun might happen, even at lunch...

3 comments:

Ronni said...

...but will he do the show?

Joni McClain said...

Man! I'm still looking for that perfect fellow -- keep your eyes peeled for me...

:-)

Joni McClain said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.