Thursday, December 01, 2005

Lesbianation Women We Love, Standing Up For Injustice, and My Sweetie's Red Boots

Over at Lesbianation, the voting for Women We Love goes on. Me, I am old school. I MUST vote for Susan Sarandon. That's class if ever I saw it. WAY before Demi Moore did that Ashton Kutcher thing, Susan Sarandon married Tim Robbins, who is twelve years younger than she is. They met doing one of my favorite movies, Bull Durham.

As for uppity strong women who do their own thing, today in 1955, Rosa Parks took a seat at the front of the bus. I was inspired by a letter Michael Moore wrote, requesting we all do our part to honor Rosa by standing up to injustice in our own ways and email him about it at contributions@michaelmoore.com. It is also World Aids Day so do your part and take a stand! Or another stand.

One of the strange injustices I see each morning as I travel to work is the activity under a highway bridge in a less than desirable area of the city. On three separate occasions in the last two weeks, it appears as if this haven for the homeless has been vandalized -- or more likely -- trashed due to a party the night before. On three separate occasions I have seen orange vested workers with the City, cleaning up the area on what can only be assumed as "the morning after."I don't know which is worse: the notion that we might not care, or the notion that the homeless don't care either. Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Some folks do care, and there's a new organization in town that serves our youth, which believe it or not, seriously fall through the cracks in the system. A large number of youth are on the streets to avoid a home where they are battered, or, a home where they are not accepted because they are gay.



Recently, my sweetie and I attended a benefit for Stand Up for Kids. Friend to a band member and general all around crazy groupie to the band that played the event, my sweetie and I enjoyed ourselves, the surroundings, the view, and the excitement.

Safely sitting upon the throne in the rustic but stalled bathroom at this event, my sweetie heard a voice from another stall, "Hey, you with the red boots..." Checking her feet to make sure she was the object of such a statement, my red booted babe replied "Uhm, yes?" "I saw you in the choir at church last Sunday and you guys rocked!" "Uhhh, thanks."

Fame.

I remained dutifully outside the bathroom door, shooing away the papparazi.

No comments: