Saturday, August 18, 2007

Steel Magnolias

Yesterday the SB and I planted a magnolia tree. So... I've been pining (no pun intended) for a magnolia tree for my yard for several years, first for several Mother's Days past as a gift to one another, then, as a Memorial for my mother. Wouldn't you know, it would occur in the most unceremonious possible way.

"Hey! These 5 gallon Southern Magnolia trees are only twenty bucks," I said.

"Ok, let's get it. Grab it, let's go," SB replied, as she was at the register already, paying for the eight bags of red mulch some of which she insisted putting around the tree prior to my snapping a pic. So insistent was she, that she rose from a nap and put her clothes on to ensure her magnolia was adorned properly, and, er... her gnome was positioned properly.


We do not have a pool in which the magnolia blossoms can float, but our neighbors do. We're saving that for the next house. Unlike in the production of Steel Magnolias, there will be no question as to whose side of the fence this tree lives.


BTW, we also bought this plant.


In other Magnolia news, here's the full cast of Steel Magnolias. In this photo Shelby is portrayed by the brilliant Nikki Zook.


I would imagine this production as being a powerful one for any cast that performs it, if, imho, they've done it right. With this production we had our own plot that was similar to the plot within the show down to Marsha, who originated the role of Shelby, being the one who got sick! A friend who played Ouiser in another recent production said a similar circumstance had occurred during the run of the production she did. I'd say Steel Magnolias, based on certain circumstances, holds potential to be the modern day "Scottish play," but I can't -- because in the face of said circumstances, we all had a ball, and came to deeply cherish the experience and one another.

This is NOT commonplace in the realm of theatre, but in my estimation as a director of this particular show -- chemistry offstage should be as much a requirement as onstage. I'm not talking like everyone should hang out together, but that the cast for this show should be the kind of women who have a high regard for one another, their work, and the good of the play.

I couldn't have asked for a better cast. Or a better review, except that the review outright swore the actress playing Truvy was channeling Dolly Parton and she was in no way shape or form doing such a thing! We received the reviewers highest praise and rating, broke the record for highest attended non-musical for the Georgetown Palace, and the cast had a wonderful experience. Couldn't ask for better.

And so... now I proceed again with NxNW Theatre and it's first production: The Nerd.

Oh, and maybe get a job or something. Seriously, I might take up photography occupationally -- it's become a great financial supplement. Let me know if you want me to do some photos for you. ;-)

2 comments:

Ronni said...

Still need a headshot for Boy. Now that his show is done, maybe we can connect...

Joni McClain said...

Let's do!